Summary of Terms

Health requirements for temporary entry to New Zealand – students, workers, and visitors

To be able to enter New Zealand as a student, worker, or visitor we need to be assured that you and any family members with you have an acceptable standard of health.  We impose this requirement to protect public health in New Zealand and to ensure that people entering New Zealand do not impose excessive costs and demands on our health and special education services. We also want to make sure that people who enter New Zealand are able to undertake the work or study for which they have been granted entry.


Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:

  • tuberculosis (TB)
  • a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to:
    • hospitalisation
    • residential care*
    • high-cost pharmaceuticals
    • high-cost disability services
  • applied for a student visa, and are under 21 years of age and likely to qualify for ongoing resourcing scheme (ORS) funding.


* Residential care is long-term care provided in a live-in facility such as an aged-person’s facility or a facility for people with a physical, sensory, intellectual, or psychiatric disability.



A person who requires dialysis treatment is likely to have their application to study, work, or visit in New Zealand declined.


Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than six months and who has risk factors for TB is required to complete (and submit with their application) a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) PDF.


Each applicant who intends to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months is required to complete (and submit with their application) a General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) PDF and Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) PDF.


Partners and dependent children for New Zealand citizens and residents may be required to provide a Limited Medical Certificate (INZ1201) rather than a General Medical Certificate (INZ1007) if they meet the appropriate criteria. 


If you have provided medical and chest X-ray certificates already in the last 36 months you may not need to provide new certificates. 


Pregnant women and children under the age of 11 years are not required to submit the Chest X-ray certificate unless a special report is required.

Related Links

For full details on health requirements, see our Health Requirements Leaflet (NZIS 1121) PDF.