Sponsorship for temporary entry class visas
A sponsor is someone who guarantees to provide for your maintenance, your accommodation and the cost of your repatriation or deportation while you visit, study or work in New Zealand.
A sponsor can be a person, an organisation, or a government agency, depending on the type of visa you are applying for.
To see who can sponsor you if you wish to:
- Visit New Zealand, go to Operations Manual V2.20
- Work in New Zealand, go to Operations Manual W2.15 WR2.1
- Study in New Zealand, go to Operations Manual U3.20
The criteria for acceptable sponsors is listed at E6.5 of the Operations Manual.
Your sponsor must complete a Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry PDF [170KB] or, if you’re applying for a work to residence visa under the Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) instructions, a Talent (Arts, Culture and Sport) Sponsorship PDF [223K]
Sponsorship for residence class visas
In order to ensure that individuals have means of support in New Zealand, having a New Zealand sponsor is a requirement for the following residence categories:
- Parent Category (F4.1)
- Sibling and Adult Child Category (F6.1)
- Residence from work under the Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Work Instructions (RW3)
The criteria for acceptable sponsors is listed at R4 of the Operations Manual.